Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX performance vs regular fax machine.

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:42:53PM -0400, Joe Matuscak wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > And it appears to suggest that faxsend *knows* that the modem is 2-d
> > capable...
>
> Pardon the dumb question, but how do you tell that from the log?

The header shows it's available.

> > There's a file in the info/ directory for each destination.
>
> Yes, it's there. The contents are:
>
> supports2DEncoding:yes

This makes it sound like it's the modem's fault to *me*...

> > I'm fairly sure the MultiTech's can, but Lee?  Isn't that in the code
> > rather than the modem, in Class 1?  Or did Joe say that he was in Class
> > 2?  [ looks ]  I see that his log says he's in Class 2.
>
> We configured the test server after reading the website, but before seeing
> the mails about class 1 being more better.

Ah...

> > Try killing the info file for that number, and see if that helps.
>
> I'll give that whirl tommorrow.

Cool.

> > If not, you might try re-installing the modem in Class 1 and see if
> > *that* helps.  Lee?  Does the howto have anything on what you have to
> > do to rm a modem?
>
> Yeah, I was thinking about trying that, but I didnt see anything in the
> howto.

I *think* you just delete the config.devid, and then rerun faxaddmodem,
and select class 1, but it's been a while since I did it.

> BTW, is it safe to assume that the server has enough horsepower to keep up
> with a single line?   This is a test machine, so we'll need to put another
> box together if we decide to set this up for all our users (maybe 50). Im
> open to configuration suggestions :-)

I'm reliably informed that even a 486-25 can keep up with one line in
class 1.  I rather gather that any current machine (read:
Celeron/Athlon 500 or better) can handle half a dozen or more without
trouble.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet (and fanfic): it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me