From: Lee Howard [mailto:faxguy@deanox.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 2:32 AM
To: Brian Moriarty; hylafax-users@hylafax.org
Subject: RE: [hylafax-users] faxgetty doesn't seem to remove lock on

At 02:21 AM 8/18/01 -0500, brian.moriarty@specialtyll.com wrote:

>My /etc/inittab file has the following lines:
>
># Setup faxgetty for HylaFAX modems
>t2:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
>t3:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1
>t4:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS2
>t5:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyLT0

I've never had very good experiences mixing hardware modems and linmodems
together.  Every time I've had a Lucent/PCTel/Intel Linmodem installed and
running, that module seemed to corrupt the serial communication for the
hardware modems.  However, I must admit that I haven't spent much time into
researching this, and my assumption may be incorrect.  The errors I would
get would be complete seizure of the hardware modem during image data
transmission, and then the fax failed.  It almost looks like the serial
driver is corrupted... but then after unloading the Linmodem module, all is
well...

>I just killed the process (1125) and these lines were logged in messages:
>
>Aug 18 02:19:47 localhost FaxGetty[1125]: CAUGHT SIGNAL 15
>Aug 18 02:19:47 localhost FaxGetty[1125]: CLOSE /dev/ttyS0
>Aug 18 02:19:48 localhost FaxGetty[1494]: OPEN /dev/ttyS0
>Aug 18 02:19:50 localhost kernel: rs_close: bad serial port count;
>tty->count is 1, state->count is 3

This line above worries me.

>Aug 18 02:19:55 localhost FaxGetty[1494]: MODEM USROBOTICS COURIER
>V.EVERYTHING Product type           US/Canada Internal Options
>HST,V32bis,Terbo,VFC,V34+,x2,V90 Fax Options            Class 1,Class 2.0
>Clock Freq             25 Mhz Flash ROM              512k Ram
>64k/Supervisor date        03/13/98 DSP date               03/13/98
>Supervisor rev         7.3.14 DSP rev                3.0.13

Unload the ltmodem module, and disable that for a moment, and then retry
things.  Hopefully that helps.

Lee.