Re: [hylafax-users] Linux Distribution

At 02:56 PM 8/15/01 -0500, Robbie Clark wrote:
>What distribution of Linux is best for HylaFax? Which distribution (if any)
>meets the prerequisites of tiff, ghostscript, etc, with a general
>installation? I have Slackware 8.0 which seems to have a problem
>communicating with Winsock with my windows clients. I also have Debian 2.2
>which is going to require some additional packages and configuration.
>
>Since I havent gotten too far into this yet, I figure this would be a good
>time to change if necessary.

I think that the bulk of Linux HylaFAX users are using RedHat or SuSE.
(RedHat because hylafax.org provides RedHat HylaFAX RPMs and SuSE because
they include HylaFAX in their distro.)  If you're a user who wants to use
binaries and don't want to make them yourself, then I'd recommend RedHat
since hylafax.org always will be providing RedHat RPMs.  We've been doing
better about providing SuSE RPMs, since SuSE is slow about updating theirs.
 We'll be putting up some 4.1 SuSE RPMs soon.

However, I've used a lot of Linux distros with HylaFAX with no problem
whatsoever, including Slackware and Debian.  So ultimately it doesn't
matter if you're up to the task.

Lee.