Re: [hylafax-users] REALLY High volume fax server.

At 12:07 PM 8/15/01 -0500, Robbie Clark wrote:
>Why not a BrookTrout? We just bought one (havent installed it yet). I
>thought they were supposed to be the best.

"The Best" is an opinion, and all opinions require a frameset from which it
is to be understood.

Well, if you just sunk $1K into a BrookTrout, you better start looking
somewhere other than HylaFAX if you intend to use it.  BrookTrout fax cards
require that the fax software integrate (at a price, obviously) their own
API into the fax software to handle BrookTrout fax cards specifically.

That's BrookTrout's fine way of nailing the end-user who purchase their
cards and nailing the software vendor who wants that end-user to license
their software (which ultimately falls back into the cost of the software
license and nips the end-user's pocketbook).  Quite an ugly business
practice, if you ask me, since BrookTrout doesn't make any commercial fax
software of their own.

I've hands-on experience with BrookTrout TruFAX cards, and although they
are *hardware* driven, something on the card "encrypts" or "scrambles"
communication to the hardware, requiring that API to be utilized.  You can
read all about this on their website.

Lee.