[hylafax-users] problems about installing hylafax 4.1 on Solaris 2.8

Dear Hylafax Community,

While trying to install version 4.1 of hylafax on our UltraSPARC host running
under Solaris 2.8, using gcc 2.95.2, we encountered several problems.
We append a set of diffs describing our changes to the files
"port/install.sh" and "configure".  Here is a brief summary of the problems
we encountered and worked around:

1) We could run configure; the $DIST_TYPE variable was not being set,
   and there was no check in the script for whether it is set or not.

2) Having already installed zlib and tifflib in specific locations,
   we had to specify the paths to these packages in the configure script
   in order to configure. It would be convenient if the configure script
   would allow the user to specify such pathes on the command line.

3) After building the package, we could not install it correctly.  In the
   config.site file, we defined the installation path, which was
   "/depot/package/hylafax_4.1".  However, during the installation, the
   "port/install.sh" script tried to copy files into
   "//depot/package/hylafax_4.1".  Appearently, "port/install.sh" specifies
   the target directory as $ROOT/$DESTDIR.  If $ROOT is null, then there is
   a problem.  In the documentation, there is no mention about setting
   the $ROOT variable.

4) It would be great if the installation script would automatically create all
   the requisite directories, if they do not already exist.  With tue current
   script, we had to mannually create all directories before running
   "make install".  If the script does not do this, the installation README
   should mention that you must do this manually.

We hope this is helpful.  Keep up the great work!

Thanks and Best Regards,
   RPC Rodgers (rodgers@nlm.nih.gov)
   Ziying Sherwin (sherwin@nlm.nih.gov)

P.S. We are not in the mailing list, please send your commands to the
email address listed above. Thanks.
nob[root]csh:114>diff port/install.sh.orig port/install.sh.local
36c36
< # DATE:               Mon Jul 16 14:59:36 EDT 2001
---
> # DATE:               Mon Jul 16 15:21:46 EDT 2001
178,179c178,179
<       $VERBOSE "$MV $target $ROOT/$DESTDIR/OLD$bf"
<       $MV $target $ROOT/$DESTDIR/OLD$bf
---
>       $VERBOSE "$MV $target $DESTDIR/OLD$bf"
>       $MV $target $DESTDIR/OLD$bf
197c197
<       if [ $STRIP != ":" -a -x $ROOT/$DESTDIR/$f ]; then
---
>       if [ $STRIP != ":" -a -x $DESTDIR/$f ]; then
215c215
<       t=$ROOT/$DESTDIR/$f
---
>       t=$DESTDIR/$f
244c244
<       t=$ROOT/$DESTDIR/$f
---
>       t=$DESTDIR/$f
263c263
<       t=$ROOT/$DESTDIR/$f
---
>       t=$DESTDIR/$f
272c272
<       install $f $ROOT/$DESTDIR/$f
---
>       install $f $DESTDIR/$f

nob[root]csh:117>diff configure configure.orig
443c443
< if [ "$DIST_TYPE" = beta ]; then
---
> if [ $DIST_TYPE = beta ]; then
3007c3007
<     DIRS="/depot/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/contrib/bin /usr/gnu/bin /usr/bin"
---
>     DIRS="/usr/local/bin /usr/contrib/bin /usr/gnu/bin /usr/bin"
3058c3058
<     DIRS="/depot/package/zlib_1.1.3 /usr/local /opt/zlib"
---