Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] Notify Script: Cannot Modify

On 24 Jul, lapiet@home.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> HylaFAX is an excellent and versatile program and I am grateful
> to have it for my Linux at-home, desk-top system.
>
> Because I send faxes from a stand-alone machine, I would like to
> have a simple notification of jobs completed/failed directly to
> my console without involving email.  A modification of the
> /spool/bin/notify script would seem like an ideal way to
> accomplish this.  Yet every time I attempt to modify the script,
> none of the changes are implemented.
>
> For example, after inserting the lines
>
> echo $QFILE
> echo $WHY

Notify is basically a wrapper around notify.awk.

It cannot produce any usable output...  I would look into using syslog
and logger (man logger) to do this.

Get rid of the ($AWK....) | sendmail sections, and just call something
like:

/usr/bin/logger -t nofify -p local4:info Fax $QFILE $WHY

and have syslogd set to show local4:info to console...
--
Aidan Van Dyk                                        Create like a god,
aidan@highrise.ca                                  command like a king,

   Programmers are busy writing the next best idiot-proof software.
    The universe, in the mean time, is busy making the best idiot.
                       The universe is winning.