Re: [hylafax-users] Maximum number of modems

At 12:45 PM 7/24/01 +0100, Gary Hall wrote:
>Hi
>
>What is the maximum number of modems you can use with Hylafax or is
>there no limit?

I don't think that anyone has hit the limit if there is one.

>Also, what is the best way to connect multiple modems to one Hylafax
>server? There must be a better approach than adding multiple serial
>ports to the hardware.

It kind of depends on what your target volume is.  If you're looking at 6
or less modems, then you can stick anywhere from 4-6 PCI modems and up to
two of either external modems or internal ISA modems which use the standard
serial ports.  I.e., (1 external, 1 internal ISA, and 4 PCI), (2 external,
4 PCI), or (6 PCI - assuming you have that many slots).  There are a number
of hardware-controlled PCI modems which generally work beautifully, and
then there are "Winmodems" which in my experience seem to work fine if
drivers for the OS are available, however, I've no experience with them in
a production environment.

You could also accomplish a similar scenario using USB modems, although I
don't think that we've had any reports of HylaFAXing with USB modems.

If you're looking for somewhere between 4 and 24 modems, you may want to
consider using Comtrol RocketModems instead, or perhaps some multi-port
serial card connected to a number of external modems.

If you're looking at more than 12 modems, you probably ought to be
considering ISDN or perhaps T1 cards.  Be careful that you get one that is
supported by your operating system and that doesn't require special "faxing
drivers" (i.e. BrookTrout).

Lee.