Re: [hylafax-users] Serial latency

> > RTS is stuck too. stty reports clocal crtscts -ixon -ixoff which looks
> > right to me. Switched to xonxoff mode and it reports clocal -crtscts
> > ixon ixoff which also looks ok, but still losing data so it looks like
> > neither handshaking mode is functioning correctly at the DTE end.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> I think clocal is broke, actually.  My stty manpage says that clocal
> means "disable modem control signals".  I think it actually means CD
> and DTR, but in any event, it doesn't seem to bode well here, and I'm
> not sure why it might be wrong.
>
> But you're right; if the lights aren't blinking that sounds like the
> computer end.  Got another serial port, or card?

Yes, you'd expect clocal to be off according to the documentation. But
Hylafax definitely sets this true. I've had a look at the source
(ModemServer module) and it explicitly sets this bit. Tried clearing it and
recompiling, but faxgetty then reports a wedged modem, so it looks like it's
correct the way it is.

Also setup Minicom on the other serial port with hardware handshaking
enabled and blasted a file at it at 38400 - no evidence of RTS toggling and
getting lost characters. So I think it's likely to be hardware or the serial
driver itself.

Tim