Re: [hylafax-users] Advice please

Vittorio wrote:

> I've been using hylafax with great satisfaction with a small hyla
> server with a modem and my Windows NT (whfc) both connected to the LAN
> of my office.
>
> The Information Dept. has been trying an NT fax server able in our
> case to deal with a hundred fax lines by means of proprietary cards.
>
> Because the result till now are poor I'd like to suggest hylafax as a
> fax server but I don't know anything about this "size" of use.
>
> So please could you tell me:
>
> 1) How many lines (fax numbers I mean) is hylafax able to deal with;

AFAIK HylaFAX has no limitations , only from the underlying
operating system.
> 2) What devices are needed (sorry but I can't think of something
> different from one modem for each line which is quite cumbersome,
> really!);

Maybe have a look, what your NT Guys uses. HylaFAX runs on several
brands of Unix, so maybe drivers for a platform on which
HylaFAX runs are available.

> 3) For 100 fax lines what kind of Intel server is needed in terms of
> HD GB, memory and so on.

That depends mostly how much Faxes are send and how "big"
this faxes are. If you have 100 fax lines, i would estimate
that you have to send 50000 faxes per day ? The biggest work
ist the conversion from postscript to tiff/g3 format.

If you have to send only few documents to a lot of receivers then
you need only Server with "normal" Hardware. But this depends
also how good the drivers for the serial/modem cards are.

Uli
--
Ulrich Eckhardt                         Tr@nscom
http://www.uli-eckhardt.de              http://www.transcom.de