Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] Re: Re: Distinctive ring & cid

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 07:26:57PM -0400, Network wrote:
> 2) it documents in the cid manpage the sometimes-tricky fact that CNID data
> isn't always presented before the first ring"
>
> FACT; local telco (verizon) provides cid-data after the first ring  -or-  during
> the second ring.  :)

Fact: TR-TSY-000030 *requires* that that the CNID burst be sent
*between* the first and second rings sent to the station.

It can't ever be sent before the first ring, because most boxes sleep
until they hear ring signal.

It can't be sent later because people won't wait.

> That patch allows faxgeety to *remember*.  Whereas in this situation, there is
> nothing to remember because the cid-data is not seen at all *only when* the
> incoming call is via the distinctive ring number.

Does the CNID data show in the session log regardless of which ring is
picked up?

Do you also understand that if you try to use RingVoice to answer fax
calls on a secong Distinctive Ring that you won't get what you're
after?

We just did that last week; check the archives.

Cheers,
- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows