Re: [hylafax-users] Fw: hylafax-4.1beta2 & recv'd faxes

At 11:06 PM 6/14/01 -0400, Network wrote:

>> Long story shorter, we aren't able to view this/any fax.
>>
>> HylaFax was installed via FreeBSD ports collection.  I have seen a borked
>> faxsetup within the script whereas it adds a 'fax' user to the line used in
>> inetd.  It also adds the user 'fax' to the password file.  This is the
first
>> time *post* three installs that this has happen.  In the past installs I
have
>> had distinctive ring issues but, the viewing of faxes has worked flawlessly
>via
>> the default method of notification from HylaFAX: (ftp://link_within_email)
>opens
>> IE-5.x with alternatiff-1 pluggin installed.

That's truly surprising, and you'd be the first one that I've ever heard of
who accesses their faxes through hfaxd with a web browser.

>>From my fax logs (syslogd)
>Jun 14 22:26:47 tower HylaFAX[424]: Login failed from Slo.integrity.net
>[192.168.0.3], anonymous
>
>It doesn't seem to matter what perm's I give the received fax; I can't
view that

> fax and, every attempt to view the fax yields the above login error.
>
>Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

You're making assumptions that you shouldn't be.  For example, you say "any
Windows client", when you really mean "IE5 web browser".  You'll get the
same results with Netscape, too.  If you had tried Cypheus or WHFC, I think
you'd understand what is happening.

You can see the problem with accessing hfaxd through IE5 as exemplified so
well above: "Login failed from ... anonymous".  IE5 logs on to ftp-like
things as "anonymous".  I don't suppose that you have set up an "anonymous"
account in etc/hosts.hfaxd, have you?  Furthermore, it's not clear what
password ("usually" it should be your e-mail address) is being used by IE5
to log on to these services.  So... you've either got to set up that
"anonymous" account and luckily get the password somehow, or use a real ftp
client, or better yet, a real HylaFAX client.

Lee.