Re: [hylafax-users] ps2pdf, page size problem

> > I applied a different version of the "faxrcvd" script (+ a
> "faxrcvd-mail"
> > script") which goes through a 2 step conversion of the received
> tif-files
> > and e-mails the received fax to a local account:
> >
> > First it converts them into postscript with "tiff2ps" and second the
> > resulting postscript file will be converted to pdf through the "ps2pdf"
> > command.
> [ snippage ]
> > Has somebody else seen that and might have any help for me?
>
> You know, I can't imagine any client-side environment where you could
> view a PDF file where you *couldn't* view a TIFF file directly, with
> about the same about of "install-a-plugin" labor at worst.
>
> I haven't seen the new faxrcvd script you mention in person, but can
> someone explain to me whyinhell you'd bother?  Just attach the TIFF
> directly...

Jay,

maybe I took a bad approach (?) but I am looking for a format that I can
view at this and most other Windows-PCs with quite a standard installation,
no additional software needed.

To be able to open/view the tif files, I applied an Internet Explorer plugin
which is called "alternatiff" (http://www.mieweb.com/alternatiff/). I don't
know which other standard applications under Windows would be able to open
the tif's, IE without that plugin couldn't do it here?
I want to be able to forward these received faxes to other users who should
be able to open these (ideally) without any need to install another
software. I even would like to open the received faxes from remote through
webmail running on our host (E-smith server).

On the other hand, Acrobat Reader is nowadays almost a standard on every
machine, therefore my approach for the pdf format.

Is there an easier way to achieve that?

BTW: Here is where I found the various versions (for tif or ps or pdf to
send via email) of the faxrcvd script:
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/delivery.html

And - sorry - just another question:

At http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html there are the different
installation requirements for the various OS or distributions. For Redhat 7
it tells you the different packages required i.e.. libtiff, ghostscript,
etc. The last in the row mentioned there is "libgr-devel-2.0.13 or better"
and the remark there for RH7 says:

" * on RedHat 7.0 the applicable packages are named nebpbm instead of
libgr."

I couldn't find any nebpbm but instead I found netpbm which I believe is
just a misspelling there. More important for me is the question where this
package is used/needed for since I didn't come across an obvious
requirement? So I still haven't applied a "netpbm" RPM on the machine. Could
that be part of my problem (I doubt)?

Sorry for the long mail,
Thanks for any help.

Michael Doerner