[hylafax-users] Faxgetty Intermittent - Unable to setup modem, can not initialize modem (repost)

Sorry, my last post was in HTML format and I got flamed by the list server.
I am reposting in case the message gets deleted from the server.

I have the following stuff installed:

redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.16-3 patched for PPTP/VPN support
ghostscript-5.50-1.i386.rpm
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-1.noarch.rpm
libgr-devel-2.0.13-23.i386.rpm
libtiff-3.5.5-2.i386.rpm
hylafax-4.1beta2-8rh6.i386.rpm

On my slow Pentium 166, Linux firewall, faxserver, samba server, etc.
everything works beautifully with either a USR 56K ISA internal modem or an
old external 28.8 USR sportster faxmodem even in Class 2.0 mode with
hardware flow control.  However at my customers location (running an exact
copy of my Linux installation, with minor adjustments of course, but not in
the HylaFAX configs).  I get intermittent faxgetty messages when trying to
send a fax, "unable to setup modem and/or can not initialize modem".  This
causes the outgoing fax to be re-queued and eventually HylaFAX sends the fax
out.  These errors occur about half of the time.  They occur with my
external sportster and with the customers old external 33.6 courier.
However, when I put in my 56K ISA sportster internal the customers setup
works great.  At first I thought it might be his serial cable, changed it
but no luck.  It seems to be isolated to using the 16550 serial ports built
into the customers computer.  He has a PIII-800 (major overkill for 5 users
;) gigabyte BX chipset motherboard.  I cant find anything in the archive
pertaining to this, except a vague comment a couple of years ago about the
serial settings not being correct.  Does anyone know of a problem with race
conditions, or anything else????  Maybe the newer serial ports in the
customers machine???  The errors are not consistent.  Sometimes I get one
error, sometimes the other, sometimes no error.  I have exhausted all my
resources, can someone please help me regain my dignity?

Michael Brown
Instant Net Solutions
www.KillerPCs.net