Re: [hylafax-users] 2-DMR: faxgetty and faxmodem defaults

On Wednesday, Oct 25, 2000, at 3:28:13 AM, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> Basically, what I'm wondering is "If 2D entirely depends on HylaFAX when
> using a class1 modem, then why doesn't HylaFAX always enable 2D if it
> operates on a class1 modem (either using faxgetty or faxmodem)?"

Oh.

Because it doesn't.  It depends on *whether the recipient can handle
it or not*.  And the problem is that GhostScript, which does the
rendering, can't know that in advance.  Once you've called once, it
can cache the characteristics of the remote, but not until then.

Now of course, these days, I'd be very interested to know what the
lossage percentage would be on assuming 2D instead of 1D -- anyone got
a large universe of station info files they can grep through to see
*how many machine really require 1D anymore*?

HF *does* fall back and re-render to 1D if the 2D call fails, right?

Isn't the reduction in line time worth the increase in
re-transmissions?

[ Carboned to -devel ]

Cheers,
-- jra