Re: [hylafax-users] Vertical resolution: HighRes ?

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 15:47:00 +0200, you wrote:

>> So, is there an high resolution?
>> I suppose I should use VRes in hyla.conf, but I don't know what value to
>> specify (392?).
>
>AFAIK there exists nothing like your high resoltion.The best resolution
>for fax is 196 lpi.

I've asked because one of our customer asked if we used the max
resolution available. I checked all the fax logs and the max capability
I've seen advertised by receiving fax machines is, like you said, 196lpi
(7.7/mm).

However, before telling the customer "we use 196 and 196 is the max
available" I made some searches.
I found out a doc at the panasonic web site with the specs of Panafax
DF-1100

====
Resolution: HORIZONTAL VERTICAL
STANDARD: 203 dots/inch x 98 lines/inch
(8 dots/mm x 3.85 lines/mm)
FINE: 203 dots/inch x 196 lines/inch
(8 dots/mm x 7.7 lines/mm)
SUPER FINE 203 dots/inch x 391 lines/inch
(transmission only): (8 dots/mm x 15.4 lines/mm)
Printing Resolution: 406 dots/inch x 391 lines/inch
(16 dots/mm x 15.4 lines/mm)
====

So they claim they can do "super fine", but send only (if I understand
well). So who is going to receive at "super fine" :-))?

So, I can safely tell the customer that 196 is the max.

I tried using VRes: 391 in hyla.conf, but the fax gets stuck in the
queue with status "W".

--
giulioo@pobox.com