Re: [hylafax-users] Connecting External USR v.90 modem

At 05:52 PM 9/27/00 -0500, Tanner, Robby wrote:
>Actually, the external modem had a switch to toggle between "smart" and
>"dumb" modes.  I wanted "smart" I guess because I'm now able to control it
>with cu and minicom.  Perhaps "dumb" is to have the device act as a
>winmodem.

Modems don't magically change between hardware modems and software modems
by the flick of a switch.  Furthermore, external modems can't change port
configurations that way, either.  You have to either change the cable to
the other port, or you have to change the BIOS settings for the port.

>Anyway, my current dilemma is how to remove /dev/ttyS2 as the hylafax modem
>and configure it to use /dev/ttyS1.  I tried removing the config.ttyS2 file
>and FIFO.ttyS2 but on the next reboot there it was and the spooled jobs were
>still trying to use it.
>
>When I run faxstat -s instead of getting the customary "Running and idle"
>message it just says "Running".

Just as it should do... there are no modems configured.  Change the BIOS
settings and then rerun faxsetup/faxaddmodem

>Similarly, for some reason the call to "fuser" fails when running
>faxaddmodem when used on ttyS1 but not on ttyS2.  Any clues anyone?  Anyone
>at all?  Pleeeeeeeeez :)

This has been fixed in CVS.  I seem to recall that it only used fuser if it
had a previously established config.devid file.  Anyway, it was coded quite
poorly here, and as far as I'm aware nobody has had trouble in this regard
with fuser in faxaddmodem in CVS.

Lee.