Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] Re: any body can help ?

On Monday, August 28, 2000, at 12:39:30 AM, Dmitry Bely wrote:
>> if (!atCmd(conf.softResetCmd, AT_OK, conf.resetDelay)) {
>>          //report error here
>>          if (!atCmd("AT&F&W", AT_OK, conf.resetDelay)) {
>>                  //there's really no coming back from here - crash and burn.
>>          }
>> }
>> return atCmd(resetCmds, AT_OK, ms);

> I don't like it :-))) The problem is that
> a) IMHO silent rewriting of NVRAM by any software is not acceptable -- the
> user will be very suprised :-)

I will concur *much* more vehemently.  I have, within my natural
lifetime, seen modems 'just die' because someone was silly enough to
configure a *program* to send write commands.  Even today, so far as I
know, you can smoke an EEPROM in about 10,000 cycles; you can
accomplish that in 3 or 4 *months* with some software.  &F, fine.  &W,
uh uh, no way.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff