Re: [hylafax-users] PCI Modems

On Wednesday, August 23, 2000, at 7:05:33 AM, Greg Kelley wrote:
> I have a new server with only PCI bus - I need to install two Modems for
> HylaFAX for ttyS0 and ttyS1 - any recommendations? THanks.

Certainly, Greg: externals.  :-)

No, really; you'll be *much* happier with externals, especially in a
multi-modem environment.  If one internal modem locks up, you have to
bounce the entire machine, which can get ugly... *and* you don't have
any blinken lights.

My personal recommendation is the MultiTech 56000ZDX.  They're a touch
pricey, but I installed on on a new 4.1beta1 server about a month ago,
and it just grinds out the 10 page faxes all day long.  Given the
problems you can have playing modem games, if you're spending money
anyway, it's sorta false economy to play modem games.

Never forget how much *you* cost.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff