Re: [hylafax-users] OT: Logo overlaying

On Tuesday, August 22, 2000, at 4:29:32 AM, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> I have ps file, that contains many pages.
> How do I process it, before passing it to HylaFAX, so that a logo (gif,
> jpg, whatever) is overlayed, or inserted, at the top of each page (all
> pages are contained in just 1 file)?
> Is there an easy way to do it?
> I know "You can use ghostscript", but ghostscript alone is too
> complicated for me.
> How you do it? Am I the only one?

Nope, you're not the only one.  :-)

You don't, actually, 'use GhostScript'.  This is why it's nice that
PostScript is an ASCII language, in large part, and that Unix is a
good OS for handling text.

GhostScript is merely an interpreter that transforms PostScript into
dots; one of many.

What you need to do is write a script that can spin through the
PostScript document and add your image in the proper places.  In order
to do this, the program(s) generating your PostScript print files will
have to conform to the "Adobe Postscript Document Structuring
Conventions".  This is a set of rules that make it possible for
programs to *do* things like "looking for the top of a page".

Now, of course, since this is *PostScript*, the code that prints the
logo doesn't actually have to *be* the first thing in the file... but
it's probably easier that way.

I know this wasn't the simplest explanation on the planet; but that's
the nature of PostScript.  It's really not that hard to learn, nor is
it especially difficult to find PostScript 'language lawyers' laying
around...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff