Re: [hylafax-users] General Questions about Hylafax

> > Say if in my Java code, I can have the fax number and fax file
> information,
> > does it make more sense to write some Java code to call the
> server program
> > hfaxd (as Lee mentioned) directly, or is there a way to make
> use of WHFC or
> > RelayFax? Which requires more effort? which makes more sense?
>
> There's a Java library for this sort of thing; I think Joe Phillips
> wrote it. If his library provides enough functionality to make it
> practical to embed in your app, and there are no licensing problems,
> by all means, I'd say do it that way. You could script out to an
> already written client, but, except in a native Unix environment, it's
> probably more trouble than it's worth.
Joe's stuff is at http://www.net-foundry.com/java/gnu/hylafax/
It's a basic lib a java client can use to communicate with the Faxserver
and a good starting point for your own client.

SuSEFax is a complete java client for HF from SuSE.

I wrote 2 java clients, one of them uses Joe's lib:

But they are usefull for production only in certain environments
(one has a gui but cannot send faxes, this is usefull if your app
sends faxes directly; the other one can send faxes but has no gui)
The install-part of the readme needs some updating also.

> > Also, where can I find the documentation about how to communicate with
> > hfaxd?
>
> Hoo boy.  :-)  It's *roughly* FTP, as Lee says... but if you don't
> read C++ code fluently, find someone who's written their own client,
> and talk to them.  There's supposed to be an RFC-style document on the
> C/S protocol... but it hasn't been written yet.  And, in theory, you
> can just watch a trace... but that hasn't been enough for me.  At
> least not yet.
The trick is to use halyfax's natice client sendfax.
Try sendfax -vv ...

It will display the communication with the server.

Bernd