Re: [hylafax-users] General Info

On Monday, August 21, 2000, at 1:56:58 PM, darkskull wrote:
> Hello, Im not sure if this is the best place to post this but its the only place
> I can find.

Yup; this was a good place.  :-)

> I work for an ISP in Minnesota. Im doing some work on a customers
> server and he happens to run HylaFAX. Its one of the main services on his
> system. I was not the administrator who setup this program and there fore i know
> very little about it. My job is only to move his system from one computer to
> another.

Ah; the dreaded "I just inherited the machine" problem.  Do this
daily; understand how you feel.

> Im not positive what im asking for. Ive tried reading threw the FAQ's, the HTML
> pages on the server, and the HylaFAX website, but i still havn't found what i
> need. Im trying to figure out how this program runs and where the configuration
> files (if any) are located. Is there a hylafax.conf of some sort?

$ man hylafax

You'll get a decent overview from that.

> Also, how does this program run? Is there a user interface somewhere? And if i
> were to move this to another system, how diffacult will a resetup be? Any help
> is much appreciated. Im just trying to find the bottom ground off this program.

Much depends on the various version numbers of things.  To give you a
bit more informed answer on this, I'll need to know the OS and version
for both machines, and the release of HylaFAX.  It will also be useful
to know the makes, models and firmware releases of the modems
involved, and have a feel for how it's running now.

Based on the answers to those questions, we'll probably ask you some
more.  :-)

> If this is not the place to be asking this please point me in the correct
> direction. Thank you for your help.

Nope; this'll do just fine.  I've carboned you on this reply, but if
you haven't already *subscrbed* to hylafax-users, please do.

Cheers,
-- jr 'love the adddress, btw... :-)' a
Member of the Technical Staff
The Suncoast Freenet