From: Lee Howard [mailto:faxguy@deanox.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 11:02 AM
To: Brendin Emslie
Subject: RE: [hylafax-users] Modem hung indefinately... saga continues

At 11:12 AM 7/19/00 -0700, Brendin Emslie wrote:
>This is a big problem.  I have a 10 hour fax window which I need to send
>1300 faxes in.  If one of the four modems hangs at the beginning of this
>window then I will not be able to meet my total fax goal.  Currently the
>only way to avoid this is to reboot the machine when I notice a stuck job.
>I tried using faxrm on that job but it just sits there indefinately and
does
>not remove the job.  The only way I can free up that tty is to reboot.  The

This wasn't the case with mine... faxrm did work.  I'm guessing, then that
your modem got hung up somehow (hardware) and not the software.  Is it an
external?  If so, you should be able to just reset its power... if
internal, a reboot is the only way to reset those.

>faxes I am sending are only 1 page in length.  HylaFAX should watch the
>tty's and if a job takes longer than xx minutes to send it should abort it
>and free up the tty.  Loosing a modem line indefinately, until reset, is
>unacceptable IMHO.

My opinion, too, but I'm not a C programmer and have no ability to
influence the source other than commenting on the list.  I have the general
opinion that there is a lot of error handling work that needs to be done on
HylaFAX, but with open-source software its as much my responsibility as it
is anyone else's, and until I learn C...

Lee Howard