[hylafax-users] Re: HylaFlex installation problem (and resolution)

>I ran into a problem trying to compile HylaFax 4.0pl2 on my RedHat Linux
>6.2 system.  When I ran the configure program I received an error telling

This is no surprise.  hylafax-4.0pl2 and RedHat 6.2 will not work together
by default.

>me that I did not have the TIFF libraries installed.  A small program was
>then shown that apparently would not compile for ./configure.
>
>After verifying that I did have the libraries installed and that I was
>able to compile my own programs that required the TIFF library, I
>stumbled on to the fact that the configure code checks to see if the TIFF
>library version was explicitly 3.4, if not it was assumed to be an old
>library.

Actually, it's not assumed to be old, 4.0pl2 *requires* libtiff-3.4.x, just
as it was saying.

>Since I have version 3.5 installed, the configure bombed on me.  I was
>able to modify the configure script to handle this better.  Although I
>was able to successfully work around my problem, I am submitting this to
>the mailing list in hopes that someone will be able to incorporate these
>changes into the source.  I am attaching a diff file of the changes I
>made.

You're new here, aren't you?  This is very sweet of you indeed, but you
just made it worse.  You'll notice that when you get to using hylafax after
compiling with this "fix" that you'll receive 8-byte fax tiff files, that
the hylafax daemons will consume nearly 100% of the CPU, and that faxing
out is impossible... among any number of other symptoms, all depending on
how you try to diagnose the problem.

I won't go into explaining the whys (you really should read the FAQ and
search through the mailing list archives before making these types of
assumptions... it'll save you time), but to use hylafax with libtiff 3.5.x
you *must* patch the source with the appropriate (available on the website)
patches (which include much more than just renaming the required version).
However, the most current hylafax version is somewhere between a fully
patched 4.1beta2 and the current CVS, so I would suggest that you use this
dandy RPM that you can get here:  (and do what you can to remove your
4.0pl2 installation)

ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/hylafax/hylafax-4.1/binary/linux/redhat/RPMS/i386/hyla
fax-4.1beta2-5rh6.i386.rpm

Lee Howard