[hylafax-users] can not lock modem device

RedHat Linux 6.2, gcc egcs-2.91.66, hylafax v4.0pl2-3rh5, using
tried-and-true Multitech 2834ZDX modem.

I get the message "can not lock modem device" in the logs every few
minutes (in the midst of a long server tracing that I won't include
here). This is a dedicated modem, and there is no other modem on the
system. I can do a cu to it with no problem, as long as the fax server
isn't running. The modem command that precedes this message is:

MODEM flush i/o
<-- [15:ATE0V1Q0S0=0H0\r]
ANSWER: Can not lock modem device

When I submit a fax, it queues fine, but never gets sent. It looks like
it's because it can't lock the modem, as logged. It thinks there is no
modem to use to send the fax.

I had hylafax running like a dream under RedHat 5.2. This problem began
when I upgraded to 6.2. It hasn't worked since. I've also had problems
removing faxes from the queue.

I'm using faxgetty, and I get lots of them running, about a dozen right
now. Here's my faxgetty entry in inittab:

fx:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

I've got nothing in the send queue that could be tying up the modem, nor
is anything coming in. I'm at a loss to know what the modem thinks it's
doing, but I don't know much about modems. Is there a lock file somewhere
that needs to be cleared? There's nothing in /var/lock.

I've thoroughly searched the troubleshooting docs and mailing list
archives, to no avail.

Thanks for your help...

Leslie

--