[hylafax-users] Re: desperate, please help

"Jeremy M. Dolan" <jmd@turbogeek.org> writes:

> For the past week I've been trying to set up a linux outbound-only fax
> server. I've tried 3 differant modems, in class 1 and 2.0 modems, and
> have had problems with them all. I'm pretty much stumped at this
> point, and am wondering if there are any modems that actually work
> with the latest beta.

Yes, it worked for me.

Now I am using/hacking CVS version and (almost) happy, but I still don't
recommend you to do the same.

> I'm using Slackware 7.0, and hylafax-4.1beta2. Is there any modem
> available for purchase that I can:
>
>  ./configure [accept all defaults]
>  make install
>  faxsetup [accept all defaults]
>  faxaddmodem [accept all defaults]
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the problem. If faxaddmodem script does not know your modem, it
generates an incorrect config by default (at least beta 2 behaves so). You
have to edit it by hand to setup necessary bit order, flow control
etc. What modem are you trying to use? What about libtiff version?

>  hylafax start
>
> and have a working outbound fax server? No patches, no messing with
> flowcontrol, no 'Waiting for modem to reset' everytime after it dials
> out. No having to kill faxq and restart it 20 times, then powertoggle
> the modem before it starts to send the 10 test faxes in the queue...
>
> I've tried searching the list archives, but it seems for every
> posititive post on a certain modem, theres another post saying
> such-and-such a patch needs applying, or you need to update the
> fireware, or that person isn't able to get that modem to work.

That's very usual situation. Nonetheless, could you describe the exact
problem again?

> Is there any hope for fax-clueless people like me? Price is of little
> concern at this point, when I consider all the time I've wasted
> already.

Yes! Hope dies last :-)

> Are there plans to release a new version of hylafax anytime soon, so
> all these patches aren't needed? It's been 22 months since the last
> stable release, which doesn't even compile on current Linux systems
> anymore. On my first attempt to set a fax server, I used the
> mgetty+sendfax system,

You choose, but I don't think it would be any better. When I look into
Hylafax sources, I see that they has been created by the person, who knows
what software design & programming style is. I cannot say the same about
mgetty+fax sources (frankly speaking, I don't like them).

> cause just by looking at the hylafax page, it looks like development is
> halted.

No, believe me :-)

> The only clue otherwise is the
> current mailing list activity. Even the latest beta is 10 months old,

CVS is one day old. I hope (but may be wrong) that beta 3 will be released
in a couple of months.

> which isn't mentioned anywhere on the page, I only happened to see the
> extra directory on the FTP site.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry