Re: SOLVED Re: tiff-3.5-interfaces.patch error

Hi,

At 10:28 PM 5/11/00 -0600, Lee Howard wrote:
>There are three problems with the tiff-3.5-interfaces.patch file as found
>on the HylaFAX website which causes the patch to crash (review of the rej
>files makes hand-modification simple, though).  The "/* $Id:
>tiff-3.5-interfaces..." vs. "/* $Id: tif_fax3.h..." problem is confusing to
>me, but the others were merely whitespace or tabbing errors.

The tif_fax3.h file is directly taken from the tiff distribution - hylafax
needs some of the internal tiff macros from there to do decoding.  The
copyright notice of the file was changed slightly in tiff 3.5, i am not
going to change it back as it is likely the previous version was incorrect.

The whitespace problem is unfortunately present thoughout the source -
there is a mixture of of tab and space characters which is unreadable
unless tab size is set to 8 spaces.  I was gradually trying to change it to
a uniform 4 space characters for each tab(same as apache) but it is a long
process and there are many more pressing jobs.

>This, however, is insufficient, as it does *not* modify ./configure from
>checking version 3.4 to 3.5.  I have made those additions to the patch file.

The patch file is supposed to be only a temporary thing for people who feel
comfortable dealing with source code.  The tiff patch has already been
added to cvs(a slightly improved version) so it will be in the next release.

There is also a bad bug in tiff 3.5.4 which causes the application to crash
when presented with a corrupt tiff file - it is probably better for redhat
6.2 users to downgrade the tiff library for to 3.4 until redhat or someone
else release a 3.5.5 rpm.

- Robert