RE: time between dial retries

yes, there is.
it depends in the client you are using.
see the clients doku, e.g. man sendfax:

       -I time     If a job must be requeued because of a  commu­
                   nication  failure schedule the retry according
                   to the specified time.   Times  are  given  in
                   seconds.   Minutes,  hours,  and  days  can be
                   specified with ``min'', ``hour'', and  ``day''
                   suffixes,  respectively.   By  default HylaFAX
                   reschedules jobs using retry times that depend
                   on  the  manner  in which the job failed; this
                   interface permits  a  user  to  override  this
                   algorithm  and  specify  a  single fixed retry
                   time for all communication failures.

RTFM  :-)

Bernd