no answer from faxstat

Hi,
I have installed hylafax.4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm on Red Hat 6.1 for intel.
The modem is an US Robotics (Sportster Voice) 33.6 Faxmodem.
All worked fine until I deleted the logfiles in /var/spool/docq,
.../sendq.
(mmh, I know, never touch a running system... please no comments :-(
I deinstalled the package.
I installed it new, without no error messages.
I setup the modem and run faxsetup and faxmodem. All that without any
errors.
But if i try faxstate or faxstat -s there is no response. The proccesses
are running
and the /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts is set correctly.
Thanks for any hints.
Angelika