Can't get Beyond Local Server with PPP and HylaFax

Using HylaFax and PPP together on the same modem (USR Courier
V.everything), I am unable to create a PPP connection that will allow
the client to access the Internet beyond the dial-up server. The client
can dial-in and maintain a ppp connection, but can't get beyond the
local server even when using IP numbers.

I did have mgetty and ppp working together well for several years before
trying to add HylaFax. I followed the FAQ on HylaFax and PPP, although I
have a Debian system rather than RedHat.

I'm sure it's a configuration problem somewhere, but I haven't a clue
where. I was going to look longer on the hylafax site, but the site
seems to be down. My configs are below.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff Hill
------------------------------

config.ttyS1
------------
CountryCode:            1
AreaCode:               416
FAXNumber:              +1.416.604.4708
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    011
DialStringRules:        "etc/dialrules"
ServerTracing:          0x08F2F
SessionTracing:         0x08F2F
RecvFileMode:           0640
LogFileMode:            0640
DeviceMode:             0660
RingsBeforeAnswer:      1
SpeakerVolume:          quiet
GettyArgs:              "-r -b -s %s %l"
# was GettyArgs:        "-r -b %l"
LocalIdentifier:        "HR On-Line"
TagLineFormat:          "From %%l|%c|Page %%p of %%t"
MaxRecvPages:           50

mgetty.config
-------------
# USR Courier V.Everything

-- port ttyS1
   speed 115200
   direct y
   toggle-dtr n
   debug 8
   init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\d\dAT&F1&S0&D2S0=0

login.config
------------
/AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login kdebug 7
debug

/etc/ppp/options.ttyS1
----------------------

#ttyS1