RE: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: i want your opinions, please!

the UI can be the same in both cases. java hylafax client could ask user for
fax.nr. etc
and then send mail to an SMTP server directly.

> as it is possible to restrict acess to ports by source ip i dont
> see that big a
> problem with this
what if your clients have dynamic IP adresses (DHCP or ISP for dial up)?

> >    a2: same as a1, but client will send an eMail to some
> dedicated process
> > on the server
> >
> >        advantage: - no firewall problem if eMail is allowed
> >                   - remote users can send faxes as if they
> where at the office
> >        disadvantage: slower than a1
>
> i dont like this due to the "dedicated process on the server, the
> vulnerability
> here is imo far greater than with a)
> another process wich can die etc.
> and remote users can use a) as if they were at the office too :-)
>
> >    b. printfax/repsond: capture the printout on the server side, make a
> > "callback" to the client to get fax.nr. etc.
> >
> >       advantage: protocoll between client server can be easily
> adopted by
> > other developers
> >       disadvantage: - another port must be opened for client server
> >                                   communications
>
> this would be another possibility, user transparent like a)
> but i dont really see an compelling argument for this, the
> current protocol is
> established, has mechanisms for transferring the relevant stuff,
> and is already
> implemented on the server side.
> Why do it again?

i forgot one:

  c.  redirect your application printout to a file on the client side
      (or maybe on the server side). the hylafax client then has to monitor
      the location for the file to appear and then start faxing.

      advantage:    - no printer port is needed on the client
                    - no admin priviliges needed if your app can print to a
PS file
      disadvantage: - JVM cannot be swapped out of memory because it
permanently has
                      to monitor the location. Maybe this is not a topic if
some
                      server side process monitors the location or if there
is
                      platform dependend code to monitor the location. e.g.
under NT
                      a Win32 app can register with NT to get messages if
there are changes
                      in the filesystem.