HylaFax and Elsa modems: solved!

Hi All,

I had the following problems with Elsa modems on SuSE Linux 6.3
and 6.4 (tried with the Elsa Microlink 56k Basic, und two different
56k Internet, one of them with the new blue look). The problems
were with SuSE 6.3 and SuSE 6.4 on two different machines, with
HylaFax 4.1pl2 as it came with SuSE (downloaded from the SuSE
server for 6.4 as 6.4 had no HylaFax on the CDs):

When I first installed HylaFax and ran faxsetup/faxaddmodem, my
modem was installed properly, but all outgoing faxes had only
between 25% and 50% of the lenght they should have. Reducing
the communication speed to 9600 the faxes became longer, but no
one was going out perfectly.

Then I found here on this list a message with an attached config file
for an Elsa modem. With this config file my modems (all three!!)
seemed to be damaged. I received error mails like "the modem
appears to be wedged", and no fax would be sent. When I tried to
run faxaddmodem again (config file removed), faxaddmodem would
not configure my modem anymore. I received a lot of error
messages that there were communication errors and needed to kill
the faxaddmodem script from another console.

The solution of the thing: there seem to be different Elsa modems.
Look at www.elsa.de under Support and there search for Hylafax.
You will find a document with two links two two different config
files. I used for my modems the hylafax.elsav250.config file and
now all is working as it should.

Many thanks go to Bernd Proissl: he helped me and gave the
winning tip: to search in the support section of www.elsa.de!

Wolfgang

-- Wolfgang Riedmann
-- Individuelle EDV-Lösungen - Soluzioni informatiche personalizzate
-- I-39012 Meran, V. Laurin-Str. 2d
-- DNet Business Partner