USR (3COM) modems

Spent the better part of the last two days researching this but haven't
come up with solution that works with the 3COM modem I've got.  The
mailing list archives have several messages and some almost answers but
nothing I tried worked.
   Equipment-/software -wise I have a new RedHat Linux 6.1 install on
brand new equipment.  The modem(s) are 3COM Models 3CP5610.  They work
since I've dialed into a server and logged on.  I've got a RPM
distribution of HylaFAX 4.1beta1-1rh6.
   HylaFAX receives faxes OK (other then the squished look) but can't seem
complete a send.  It looks like the USR Class-2.0 issue.  I've tried
adding/changing commands so the modem is only a Class-1 fax.  Still no
joy!  Does anyone know if 4.1beta1 has the RTN patch applied?

I'm running in so many circles I can't see up when laying on my back.

Along with this I'd like to ask if the USR/3COM modem problem is because
they haven't implemented the protocols correctly or if it's an industry
problem because somewhere in the early days a major player decided to do
it their way and others followed?  Be nice to know whom to lean on!

TIA,
Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson