Re: Hylafax question

Dear Richard,

At 05:24 PM 2000/4/20 +1000, Richard Keech wrote:
>hi K.S.Wat,
>
>I see from your post to the Hylafax list (below) that you
>have used Hylafax with 30 modems.  I am helping someone who

In fact we have 45 modems connected now !!

>is considering doing something similar.  Can you offer
>any advice about the viability of Hylafax with large number
>of modems in very high traffic situations.
>
>If it is viable, would you recommend using v4.0, or the
>beta of v4.1 which has been available for quite some time now.

The version we're using now is v4.1 with some additional patches
(mainly for the RTN problem). As we have the system running smoothly
and also we have made some modifications (some optimization) so we don't
plan for any upgrade. We are sending 1500 - 3500 pages of FAX a day. The
reason that we installed so many modems is that we want to have our messages
sent to our clients as soon as possible and we have over a hundred of clients
for some of our messages.

So far we found HylaFAX very reliable. We only have RTN problems with
one client and the problem is fixed by reducing fax speed (I'll try
Dmitry's patch
later).

>Thanks for your thoughts.

Please let me know if any further information is required.

>regards
>
>Richard Keech

>http://www.hylafax.org/archive/1998-11/msg00095.html
>
>How many modems are supported by HylaFAX v4.0pl2?
>
>       To: Edmond Cheung <ccedmond@uxmail.cityu.edu.hk>
>       Subject: Re: flexfax: How many modems are supported by HylaFAX
>v4.0pl2?
>       From: Hong Kong Observatory <d1swdev@asiaonline.net>
>       cc: flexfax@sgi.com
>       Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 09:07:46 +0800 (HKT)
>

>Hi,
>

>On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Edmond Cheung wrote:
>
> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > We are the City University of Hong Kong and going to setup a tpc.int fax
> > server by using the hylafax server software(HylaFAX v4.0pl2). Would you be
> > kind enough to let us know whether it is possible to connect several modems
> > (max. may be 10) to the fax server.
>
>Sure ! In fact we are connecting 30 modems to the fax server.
>

> > Best Regards,
> > Edmond Cheung
> > 98.11.12
> >

>K.S.Wat SSA(D)12
>Computer Division,
>Hong Kong.
>

>--
>Richard Keech   rkeech@redhat.com, richard@keech.cx
>Trainer and consultant
>Red Hat Asia-Pacific, Australia.
>mobile +61 419 036 463,  office +61 7 3257 4811

Yours,
K.S.Wat SSA(D)12
Computer Division
Hong Kong Observatory