fax2pdf ...

Hello everybody,

Just in case somebody is interested:

After searching the web and not finding a fast, cheap and small (direct)
fax2pdf conversion utility I sat down yesterday and wrote one.

>From the time to locate the PDF specification to a very very alpha version
it took me a couple of hours to hack this beast together.

It has the following features:

* small memory footprint (doesn't turn the fax into a 32bpp data
  structure, but rather always stays 1bpp)
* zlib compressed image data in the generated PDF output file
* PDF files are usually about the same size as the tif
* based on libtiff and zlib.
* scales the image to fit the entire page (preserving the aspect ratio)
  [minus some space at the edges]
* GPL'd
* There is a rpm spec file included

It has the following misfeatures:

* The style is **UGLY**
* Not very well designed (it IS a hack)
* not customizable by now (it has some support for different page sizes,
  but...)
* I think it leaks memory somewhere, patches are welcome.
* The generated PDF is messy
* The generated PDF still has some problems, but Acrobat Reader can deal
  with the output it generates.
* It is written in C++, but not very OO

Please find the archive of the C++ source code attached. I thought it was
small enough not to offend anybody if I'd just include it. Feel free to
delete it if you are not interested.

If you are, however, feel free to use it and to mail back patches and
suggestions.

peter

fax2pdf-0.1.tar.gz