Re: Hylafax not sending (faxq hanging?)

I realize that this is a late reply to the original problem, however I wanted to add my support for this solution because I just ran into it after rebooting my system with the new libtiff files 3.5.4.

It does affect both the faxq and faxgetty, rendering the server useless to send or receive.

To remedy this problem with RH5.1 and Hylafax 4.0PL2 I did the following. Hopefully this will find it's way into the HylaFAQ.

1) Download the beta version of libtiff-3.4betaxxx and libtiff-devel.xxx.

<http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/LByName.html>http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/LByName.html

Install them over the current version using RPM for both the libtiff and libtiff-devel:

%rpm -U --oldpackage libtiff.rpm
%rpm -U --oldpackage libtiff-devel.rpm

Restart hylafax and kill faxgetty:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax stop
/etc/rc.d/ihit.d/hylafax start

ps ax |grep faxgetty

kill -9 (pid of faxgetty)

I hope this helps those of you who will ultimately run across this issue.

Randy

M. Dragon:
>Attempting to send a fax hangs forever (that is, sendfax works ok, but
>the job just sits on the server with a 'R' status) furthermore faxrm hangs
>when trying to remove the job.
>
>looking at the logs, and running 'top', faxq seems to be hanging. It forks
>a copy of itself, and the forked proc sits there chewing massive amts of
>cpu till I hit it w/ a kill -9. This happens, apparently just after it
>converts the documents for transmission.

See my mail on this list a couple of days ago. 4.0PL2 apparently has an
incompatibility with recent TIFF versions that causes this error (and
also another one which makes faxgetty behave similar). The solution
that worked for me is to compile 4.0PL2 against TIFF-3.4 (cured both
symptoms).

Helge

---
Randy Kochis