I cannot autoprint! please help me!

Running Hylafax 4.1 beta on Linux Mandrake no problems.

To print I issue the command: fax2ps tif0001.tif | lp

The fax prints great.

Now, I add the line: fax2ps $FILE | lp
to the faxrcvd program, and it will not print.  I have tried adding the line in
the beginnging, the end and even the middle for the scirpt.  I have also tried
commands like fax2ps $1 | lp and it still doesnt work.  I have also
/usr/bin/fax2ps $FILE | lp and that didnt work either.

This should work right?
How can I check what faxrcvd is doing?
any suggestions?
This is baffling me!