sendfax generating zero page (0:0) faxes

Hi,

I've got a problem with a Hylafax installation.  Any faxes sent using
"sendfax" (the only interface I've got) appear in the queue as being
zero pages long.  Consequently, they are never sent.

The documentation on the website doesn't seem to mention this possiblity,
and the web searches I've done have shown up other people who have similar
problems, but the suggested solutions ("Rerun faxgetty") haven't worked.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Here's the setup:

 .  The server is a PC running stock FreeBSD 3.4.

 .  The Hylafax version is 4.0pl2

 .  The additional software required by Hylafax is installed, and the
    versions are:

      libtiff (3.5.5)
      libjpeg (.so.9, from jpeg-6b)
      Ghostscript (5.50)
      libpng (1.0.5)

 .  The modem is a Multitech MT2834ZDX.  "faxaddmodem" detects it, and I'm
    using the config file shipped with Hylafax.

I've tried this with and without a faxgetty process running.  Here's what
happens if I don't have faxgetty in /etc/ttys.  I've blanked out numbers
and domains with XXX

  [ logon as normal ]

  % ps -ax | grep fax
    249  ??  Is     0:00.00 /usr/local/sbin/faxq
    251  ??  Ss     0:00.01 /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i hylafax

  % faxstat -s
  HylaFAX scheduler on XXX.co.uk: Running
  Modem cuaa1 (XXX): Running and idle

  % sendfax -n -d XXX article.ps
  request id is 1 (group id 1) for host localhost (1 file)

  % sendfax -d 442270 /etc/motd
  request id is 2 (group id 2) for host localhost (1 file)

  % faxstat -s
  HylaFAX scheduler on XXX.co.uk: Running
  Modem cuaa1 (XXX): Running and idle

  JID  Pri S  Owner Number       Pages Dials     TTS Status
  1    127 W   root 442270        0:0   0:12
  2    127 W   root 442270        0:0   0:12

As you can see, two jobs are scheduled.  The first was generated from a
7 page postscript file with no coversheet, the second from the MOTD with
a coversheet.

Turning on logging shows lines like

    CONVERT DOCUMENT: bin/ps2fax -o docq/doc2.ps;30 -r 98 -w 1728 \
        -l 280 -m 4294967295 -1 docq/doc2.ps.2

in the system log.  Viewing the files in docq/ with ghostview and xv
shows that they are the Postscript and TIFF files that I would expect,
with the correct number of pages.

With "faxgetty" running from /etc/ttys, and on the correct port, things
are exactly the same, except (obviously) it would have shown up in the
ps listing earlier.

Many thanks for any inspiration people can offer.