Re: Re: Thomas Bruns

Andreas Hoedle <hoedle@kwsoft.de> writes:

> > I've got a problem using Class 2 with an old 14.4-Modem. Must be some model
> > from GVC, I suppose.
> >
> > MODEM ROCKWELL ROCKWELL 144DP/E.C.  Version : 7.1 COUNTRY : 5  GERMANY
> >
> > at+fclass=?
> > 0,1,2
> >
> > I am using Hylafax from Suse 6.3 ("susefax"), HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.1beta2.
> >
> > Sending faxes with class 1 works, but using class 2 leads to an
> >
> > "Document was encoded with 2DMR, but client does not support this data format"
> >
> > message. Has anybody got an idea how to get class 2 working ?!?
> >
> > --
>
> With class 2 most of the work for sending fax is done by the modem. That
> means most errors in communication result from buggy firmware at one
> side of the phone-line.

:-) Do you really believe in that? What about the bugs in *software*
(supplying incorrect data to the modem/violating some timing conditions
etc)?

> If possible try to upgrade the firmware of your
> modem and test again.

*Wrong*. The above problem has nothing to do with firmware bugs. His modem
obviously does not support 2D Mod. read in Class2 mode (in Class1 it's
supported by Hylafax itself). He should just purge the info database.

> Andreas

Wrong (useless) advice is much worse than no advice at all.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry