faxgetty behaving badly

Hello there,
I appear to have a problem with faxgetty.
Whilst receiving a fax, I sometimes - NOT always - get an
"Unspecified Receive Phase B Error" and after that the modem
doesn't answer anymore. Somehow faxgetty doesn't quite seem to
notice the aborted connection, as I get "Receiving" when i run
faxstat....
The faxmodem remains unusable until I restart faxgetty.
When I ring up the number the modem's connected to, the line's
not busy, it just doesn't answer.
Does anybody know any countermeasures?
--
"Content-type = text/plain nonsense"