Re: sendfax troubles

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 11:03:54PM -0600, Neal E. Breakfield wrote:
> > duckman:~# sendfax -d 8748007 hack
> > textfmt: No font metric information found for "cob".
> > Usage: textfmt [-1] [-2] [-B] [-c] [-D] [-f fontname] [-m N]
> > [-o #] [-p
> > #] [-r] [-U] [-Ml=#,r=#,t=#,b=#] [-V #] files... >out.ps
> > Default options: -f com -1 -p 11bp -o 0
> > Error converting data; command was "textfmt -B -f cob -p 11 -s default
> > >/tmp//faxsnda12334 <hack"
>
> As I understand it, Hylafax should have _NO PROBLEM_ handling a plain text
> file.  Are you sure you are sending a _plain_ text file... i.e. created in
> unix/linux in a text editor (w/o formatting)?  Or was it created on a
> Windose box?

I don't have a windows box, all my computers run linux.

> If it's a PLAIN text file, you don't need any fonts.  Hylafax uses a default
> system font.  Make sure it's a plain text file.

It is a plain text file. What sendfax does (as I understand it), is
first convert the text file to postscript and then convert the
postscript to tiff. If it converts the file to postscript, it
needs a font an appearantly cannot find it...

I used the debian package to install hylafax. All I want to do is be
able to send a fax, much in a way I print documents to a printer.

> > I'm a little bit confused by hylafax, it seems so complicated...
> >

> As with all thing Linux (at present), there is a little bit of a learning
> curve, but I promise you, you will not find anything that can touch it

Well, I find hylafax rather difficult, it reminds me of the time I tried
(and succeeded after long hours..) to configure sendmail.

What makes hylafax better than e.g. efax? Or let me state this
different. There's efax, hylafax, mgetty-fax, and maybe more packages.
What is the difference between these fax packages for linux?

Wouter

--
Wat voor een paperclip geldt, geldt in wezen ook voor een server.
- Compaq over de nieuwste ProLiant servers