Re: Faxmail-Problems

> No passwd file entry for uid 8, cannot expand ~ in "~/.hylarc"
> faxmail: Login failed: 500 'USER ': Syntax error, expecting user name..
> 554 fax@74101588.FAX... unknown mailer error 255
>

> Why does the FOREIGN Mailserver complain ?? I thought it should deliver the

I don't believe it is complaining, as it wouldn't have access to
all the error messages.

> mail to testfaxadress@online-shop-ag.de and OUR server then performs the
> forwarding.

It appears that the unprivileged user used by sendmail when delivering
mail to programs from non-local users doesn't have an entry in the
/etc/passwd file.  On a normal sendmail this is daemon, and on a normal
Unix, this would be user id 1, but Linux doesn't use normal user
id number mappings.  On slackware, user id 8 has a name of mail.

(MTAs other than sendmail might actually use mail for this purpose on
normally configured systems.)

Please raise a bug report with your Linux distribution supplier.