Re: halyfax, certain fax machines, several modems and transmission errors

Bernd Proissl wrote:

> Hello to everybody,
>
> during the last weeks i tested several modems with
> hylafax (mainly 4.0pl12, also 4.1beta2) on Linux Kernel 2.2.10 (Suse 6.2)
>
> The only reliable one i found until now is the Else Microlink 56k basic in
> Class 2.0
> (testing in a production environment will start next week)
>
> There are some fax machines out there which do not receive faxes sent from
> hylafax, if hylafax drives one of the followin modems:
>
> CReatix LC144VF (latest firmware) Class 1
> US Robotics Sportser Flash latest Firmware in Class 1  (Class 2.0 is
> unreliable)
> US Robotics Sportser Flash Vi28.8 in Class 1
> Zyxel 1496E (firmware 6.21) in Class 2 and 2.0  (how can i use it in Class
> 1?)
> 2 noname products in Class 1
>
> The symptoms with some fax machines are the well known page retransmissions
> after e.g. retrain negative.
>
> i tested rstcts and xonxoff with all of the above modems.
> Maybe one of the config files was wrong, but i did not find any errors
> related to
> the configuration of flow control.
>
> the problems can be reproduced with at least one fax machine.
>
> is anybody out there who wants to help me in diagnosing (and solving?) these
> problems?
>
> TIA!!
>
> Bernd
Hi Bernd,

I made the same experiences with some fax machines, and other computers
You should try to "cut" the capabilities of these fax-machines in the
info directory

If you have problems with a too high speed
just put the desired speed with an "&" before it in the info file.
e.g.
&maxSignallingRate:"2400"
&minScanlineTime:"20ms"

Have a look in the session tracing and tell yout modems just to work in
a special mode
with some destinations

I trained my Multitech, Zyxel and Elsa Modems to use the
features called destinations have. Works fine here.

hope it helps
/matthias

--
HAGOS eG                 phone: +49 711 7880592
Matthias Reich             fax: +49 711 7880599