modem (2.0): canīt receive from Class1-machines

Hello,

please help to make another modem (AROWANA, TI-Chipset)
work with linux. Thereīs (seems to be) no support of this modem
worldwide so far. Nearly all functions work !!!! I will
make the solution public as soon as faxes from Class-1
machines are possible!

My "AROWANA"-modem with TI-Chipset 56K/ Class2.0 does not
want to recognise faxes from an about 6 years old manual
paper fax machine (may be Class1?) when FAA=1
(auto-detection of data or fax) is set. The other way round
AROWANA-Modem can send a fax to the old fax machine
with initial configuration of Class2.0 .
While trying to receive a fax the modem seems not be able
to decide whether it is a Data oder Fax Connection.
In /var/log/messages are *NO* messages during the old fax
machine and the modem are trying handshake. After about 40
seconds of trying to make handshake, the modem detects
"Data Connection": but itīs a FAX !!!!

Feb 24 19:15:01 rex FaxGetty[1044]: --> [4:RING]
Feb 24 19:15:01 rex FaxGetty[1044]: MODEM input buffering enabled
Feb 24 19:15:48 rex FaxGetty[1044]: ANSWER: DATA CONNECTION
Feb 24 19:15:48 rex FaxGetty[1044]: GETTY: START "/usr/sbin/mgetty -r -b
-s 115200 ttyS1", pid 1117
(BTW: it doesnīt mind which kind getty ..)

Has somebody an idea where I can search ?

Here is an extract of the non-Class2 - Commands that
are surely the problem:

ModemType:              Class2.0        # use this to supply a hint
ModemRate:              115200          # max rate for DCE-DTE
communication
ModemFlowControl:       rtscts          # rtscts, sonst keine
Modem-Initialsierung
ModemSetupDTRCmd:       AT&D2           # setup so DTR drop resets modem
ModemSetupDCDCmd:       AT&C1           # setup so DCD reflects carrier
(or not)

ModemResetCmds:         AT&F2           # load hardware-configuration
ModemAnswerCmd:         ATA             # use this to answer phone
ModemNoFlowCmd:         AT&H0&I0&R1             # no flow control
ModemHardFlowCmd:       AT&H1&I0&R2             # hardware flow control
cmd
ModemSoftFlowCmd:       AT&H2&I2&R1             # software flow control
cmd
                             ^^^^^^  Iīve already tried any combination
including
                                     deleting "&I..."

ModemNoAutoAnswerCmd:   ATS0=0          # disable auto-answer

ModemSetupDTRCmd:       AT&D2
ModemSetupDCDCmd:       AT&C1
ModemResultCodesCmd:    ATX1

If somebody is more interested see

    http://www.buzo.onlinehome.de/arowana.htm

Iīve put there the entire config.modem and
a listing of all AT and extended AT commands
of arowana-modem (AT$, ATD$, AT&$)

tia
Ekkard

P.S.
Other tests with a faxmodem Class2 (rockwell chipset)
were much more successful. I is possible with config.modem
to comunicate with a Class2-modem (rockwell-Chipset).
Both can send and receive faxes, both can recognise
data-calls from each other. Iīve not tested with other
modems yet, because I have only two modem. Tomorrow
Iīll purchase a Elsa Microlink Basic. (Somebody in Germany
has other (2, 2.0) modems that he does not use any
longer ?)