Debugging advice please

Can anyone please advise me on how to debug the routine FileTransfer.c++
using ddd.

I have found that when trying to retrieve faxes, hylafax returns different
results depending on whether I use an email client, Netscape or ftp - none
works correctly!  I need to dig into the file transfer routines to find out
why but I don't know how to do this.  My knowledge of ddd stops at being
able to debug single thread programs (if that ...)

Suggestions would be most welcome.

  Iain Stevenson