Re: R: Documentation for hfaxd client-server protocol

"Jay R. Ashworth" wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 01:35:59PM +0100, Michael Stevens wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with the protocol but I _think_ it's attempting to
> > connect to a port you (the client) should be listening on, via prior
> > agreement, you're not listening there, and the connection is
> > failing. This however is a guess, based on vague memories of the ftp
> > protocol and nothing else.
>
> I'd say that was an acceptable bet, Michael.  That is how FTP commonly
> works, unless it's in passive mode, when the client builds both links.
> I don't know if the hfaxd server supports a passive mode or not; I hope
> so -- it would make outside of firewall clients easier to build.

Hi,

HylaFAX supports passive connections (and i plan to support this too in
one of the next releases of WHFC).

A little bit documentation for the protocol can be found on a man-page
(if i remember correctly hfaxd ?). Also starting all the commands like
sendfax with for example "sendfax -v -v " gives a good overview how
the protocol works. Also reading the RFC for ftp (RFC 959) gives a lot
of useful informations.

Uli
--
Ulrich Eckhardt                         Tr@nscom GbR