modem does not dial out

I'm new to Hylafax so please bear with me

I have set up a Linux box running RedHat 6.0 I've installed hylafax 4.05 rpm
version for RH6.0
my modem is a  Origo 33.6K using Rockwell chipset. The problem I get is that all
the faxes are qued and the modem will not dial out. Even if I use the cu -n -d
?????<<EOF it just sits in the que.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Martin Taylor
Radio Holland BV
Durban