Re: FW: Will 4.1b3 or 4.1 solve "no response to MPS"?

At 02:20 PM 10/31/99 +0100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
>On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:24:53 +1100, hai scritto:
>
> >stty < /dev/<modem device file>
>$ stty < /dev/ttyS2
>speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
>min = 127; time = 1;
>-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
>-opost -onlcr
>-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

Try that again with the '-a' param ie stty -a < /dev/ttyS2, you need to
make sure ixon, ixany ixoff are set correctly.

Are you running faxgetty on the line?  The speed is also set quite high for
an xon/xoff connection it might be worth swapping to hardware flow control.

> >Compare to the hylafax modem configuration file, inspect also the log files
> >of the failures.
>Hylafax force xonxoff
>
>ModemType:      Class1      # use this to supply a hint
>ModemRate:      38400
>ModemATCmdDelay:    300
>ModemFlowControl:   xonxoff     # XON/XOFF flow control assumed
>#ModemFlowControl:  rtscts      # XON/XOFF flow control assumed
>My rate is about 5%.
>But you have to consider that you live in Australia, I live in Italy; we
>use to keep old equipment until it dies...

That is too high.  There is a configuration or hardware problem, the number
of machines that actually ignore the last EOP is minuscule, look again at
the figures i gave yesterday:

Modem: Combined Total
Total faxes sent:                                              82173
Error                                           No  Rate/1000
No response to MPS *                    47      0.6
No response to EOP *                    333     4.1

71% percent of the documents sent are 1 page(based on successful sends from
xferlog).

A MPS failure implies the receiving fax does not have control of the
session for whatever reason - whether hylafax waits or ignores the EOP
reply matters not one bit.

Therefore 29% of uncontrolled sessions will result in a MPS failure, 71% of
uncontrolled sessions will result in a EOP failure.
         => roughly 115 of the EOP failures are due to uncontrolled sessions.
         => only 218 out of 82 173 or less than 3 of every 1000 fax
machines ignore the EOP reply.

That figure will only go down as that old equipment is replaced, the
uncontrolled session problem will *not*.

http://www.trump.net.au/~rjc/hylafax/index.html

> >Show a log! Preferably of both hylafax failing and other software
> >succeeding with the same hardware setup.
>Well, Il try to see if MSFax has logging capabilities.
>For efax see:
>http://www.hylafax.org/archive/1999-05/msg00143.html

That case looks very much like misconfigured flow control - look at efax it
sent the EOP and got a MCF in reply, the receiving fax is behaving correctly.

By comparison look at the hylafax log there's quite large pause after end
of page is sent and telltale ^S^Q characters in the log. Just afterwards
then after that a bunch of weird empty lines as the modem and computer have
trouble communicating with each other.

>In the list archive there are examples of class2.0 modems.
>
>This is Hylafax, It has the ^Q^S you already told someone about...
>==========

 > Oct 19 12:03:10.36: [19840]: --> [2:^S^Q]
 > Oct 19 12:03:20.06: [19840]: --> [0:]
 > Oct 19 12:03:24.89: [19840]: --> [0:]

The log is very similar to the previous example, flow control characters
and empty lines suggest problems communicating with the modem.

> >...but would you want that kind of software?
>Yes, I'd like the option to tell hylafax to consider such a fax a
>success.
>
>If a customer receives a bad quality fax , he calls me and he asks me to
>resend it. If it receives, many times,  3 or more copies of a fax or of
>the 1st page of a fax, he calls me and he is angry with me.

That will not work - if the receiver only received junk from the top of the
page they will have no idea who sent it(some fax machines print a report
page on failed receive but most don't).  Meanwhile you will think it was a
success....i hope you don't ever try to fax anything important.

- Robert