Re: Waiting for modem to come ready............

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 08:15:28AM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> > This also exposes one of the major weaknesses of the current init; I'd
> > really like to see a version that not only reads /etc/inittab, but
> > maybe the contents of /etc/inittab.d/*, for all non-hidden files in
> > that directory, or possibly all that end in a '+' sign.
>
> init is so fundamental to the system that it needs to be fairly simple,
> although Linux would be a good place for this sort of feature creep.

True, but conversely, if you need a program to make sure that other
programs stay running, why create a second one?

> > This would make it _much_ easier for installed packages to interact
> > with inittab, in much the same fashion that they can now easily
> > interact with /etc/rc.d/init.d.
>
> SCO Unix reconstructs the working inittab from such a directory every
> time you reconfigure the kernel.

Something like that, but I'd just as soon see init simply scan a
directory at runtime to build it's internal table.  Now that I describe
it, I think it might be even easier to implement than I'd first
thought.  If Miquel factored the code well enough...

But we're seriously off topic now.  (Not that this particular list
can't stand a little of that; it's much better behaved than most lists
I'm on.)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592