modem problem?

 I am running freebsd 3.2. Hylafax 4.0pl2. I am using a hayes accura
33.6 data/fax modem. It detects as class 1.
 I can send 1 fax, then all I get thereafter is :

# faxstat
HylaFAX scheduler on x-gepetto.caravella.com: Running
Modem cuaa0 (+1.999.555.1212): Waiting for modem to come ready

 It waits forever :-( Should I try another modem?

--
"The solution to a problem should be as simple as possible,
no simpler."