Re: suspicious filenames of recvd faxes via port 4559

> I send an email Notification through the faxrcvd script to an user which
> includes a link to the received fax file:

It's better to send the file, as postscript (for ghostscript), or with
recent patches, as TIFF-F.

> ftp://192.168.10.1:4559/recvq/fax00002.tif.

> So I click onto that link  - but I get a dead link.

You should get permission denied.  If you want to provide unrestricted
access, you need to change the default file mode.

> It is possible to change to the ftp://192.168.10.1:4559/recvq directory; but
> the files in that directory are not named like fax0000x.tif but

Yes they are; there is no standard for ftp directory listing formats
as they were not intended for machine use (NLST format is intended
for machine use, but gives the name and no additional information).  Your
browser probably understands Unix and MS-DOS, and possibly NT and a few
more, formats, but not Hylafax format.

>     "-rw----    1  10        +49xxxxxxxx   19:14 fax00003.tif"

As a result, the browser mis-parses the directory listing and thinks that
the whole of the line is the file name.  Use a command line ftp client,
not a GUI browser.